Mallinckrodt Advocates for Comprehensive, Multi-Prong Action Plan to Fight Opioid Abuse and Misuse in the United States
"As an industry pioneer in addressing the problem of prescription drug diversion and misuse and a strong and constant partner to those focused on addressing the problems of drug abuse,
- Use Opioids Sparingly:The preferred standard of care must be a balanced, multimodal approach to pain management.
Mallinckrodtwill advocate for incentives, policies and treatment guidelines that focus opioid use on cases where adequate pain management cannot be achieved with an alternative therapy, or where alternative therapies are not available or are inappropriate for a particular patient. Mallinckrodtand others offer such alternative medication options today and the company also supports creation of treatment guidelines to advance this approach.
- Expand Access to Medication-Assisted Treatment: All patients with a substance use disorder should have access to appropriate treatment, including counseling, behavioral therapy and all relevant
U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved medications. Mallinckrodtwill advocate for federal and state policies that eliminate barriers to treatment access.
- Mandate Advanced Education for Healthcare Providers: Understanding and identifying the risks associated with opioids are critical to better ensuring that healthcare providers can prevent opioid abuse and misuse before it begins.
Mallinckrodthas been a strong advocate for continuing medical education for physicians (including dentists and veterinarians), and education of pharmacists and hospital personnel on appropriate prescribing and warning signs of opioid abuse and diversion. The company will continue to advocate for strengthened state and federal policies that mandate such education.
- Enhance Regulatory Standards and Data Usage to Prevent Diversion: Clarifying responsibilities for tracking opioids in the supply chain, generating better data on the nature of opioid abuse – from both legitimate opioid prescriptions and illicit opioid use – and aligning and strengthening prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) across states are critical steps toward halting the diversion and improper use of opioids.
Mallinckrodthas been a leading proponent of PDMPs, and will advocate for regulatory clarity and improved data generation and sharing at the federal and state levels.
- Urge Safe Drug Storage and Disposal: Several national statistics reveal that home medicine cabinets are a primary source of diverted prescription opioids, and so it is critically important to form public and private partnerships to provide ways to safely and responsibly store medications and dispose of unused and unneeded medication. As one such solution,
Mallinckrodthas donated approximately 1.5 million drug disposal pouches across the United Statesand will increase that number incrementally to 2 million by the first quarter of 2018. Some states have also purchased drug disposal pouches for their residents, and Mallinckrodtwill advocate for funding to continue these efforts.
- Fund Community-Based Education / Intervention: Education on opioid abuse and community interventions with youth and at-risk populations is critical to achieving healthy and drug-free communities.
Mallinckrodtwill continue to advocate for federal funding, made available through the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act, and state funding to support community-based education and intervention programs.
Senior Vice President, Investor Strategy and IRO
Director, Investor Relations
Senior Communications Manager
Chief Public Affairs Officer
Vice President, Government Affairs, Public Policy and Advocacy
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mallinckrodt-advocates-for-comprehensive-multi-prong-action-plan-to-fight-opioid-abuse-and-misuse-in-the-united-states-300524184.html